May the defineProperty method of a proxy handler throw a TypeError?

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Fri Jun 17 16:29:36 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM, David Bruant <david.bruant at labri.fr> wrote:
[...]

> I would be much more in favor of traps closely following internal
> methods signature, meaning add "Throw" arguments and let trap writers
> decide of what they want to do with it. Following internal method
> signature sounds a safer way to get around what you need to do.

I agree with the general idea. But rather than make the traps conform to
leaky internal spec methods, let's refactor the internal spec method
signatures to conform to the less leaky signatures we've already achieved
for the traps <
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxy_defaulthandler#alternative_implementation_for_default_set_trap
>.

In particular, everywhere we're currently passing in a boolean Throw
argument (which does in fact always indicate strictness) we should instead
be returning a boolean. Then, only the top level interface between special
forms and internal methods need be concerned to turn a failure (false) into
either a silent failure or a throw, depending on the strictness of the
special form. All other internal methods need only propagate such failure
reports back accurately.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM