Possible Loophole (was: Proposal: Property fixing)

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Fri Jun 17 13:20:39 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM, David Bruant <david.bruant at labri.fr>wrote:

> **
> Le 17/06/2011 18:45, Mark S. Miller a écrit :
>

>> What is the rational behind each of these?
>>

>  One of JavaScript's great virtues is that it is a highly reflective
> language, leading programmers and framework builders to engage in a wide
> range of meta-programming patterns. One of JavaScript's great flaws is that
> its property state space is complex, leading such meta-programmers into a
> case explosion. Prior to ES5, there were so few guarantees of any stability
> properties over this state space, especially for non-native ("host")
> objects, that robust programming was almost impossible.
>
>  For example, Caja on ES3, to uphold its own invariants, must handle
> non-native objects very carefully. (...). To diminish the cases we need to
> worry about, Caja pays substantial costs to ensure that untrusted code never
> gets a direct reference to any non-native object, not even "alert". This ice
> is too thin.
>
> It may be a naive question,

Rest assured that none of this is naive. This stuff is hard to think about.
However, due to time constraints, I'll only answer now the things I can
answer quickly.

> but why should untrusted code be prevented from getting a reference to a
> non-native object? Do you have a concrete example of threat this protects
> from?
> ... well... if untrusted code has access to "alert", it can do "while(1)
> alert();" and prevent trusted code from running. But all other non-native
> objects?
>

> How did each of the 4 "Universal property constraints" made Caja's work
> easier?
>

> For NodeLists proxy emulation, the "length" property cannot be changed
> manually (as far as I know), so I'd say that its writable has to be false
> (tell me if I'm wrong to think that).

AFAIK, this is wrong. I am not aware of any requirement that so-called
"writable" properties are actually writable.

> The "length" value can however change due to DOM tree transformations. For
> this reason, configurable has to be true as per Universal property
> constraints 1) a).

#1a says only "either or both of the [[Writable]] and [[Configurable]]
attributes must be true", which is the only constraint I would assume here.

Hmmm. This suggests a loophole that might help out on some of the proxy
cases we're concerned about. I know of no universal constraint that a
proxy's handler could violate if it could 1) trap attempts to change the
value of a writable non-configurable property, and 2) could respond by
either setting the value as it likes or reporting a failed assignment. The
handler must of course be prevented from changing any other attribute,
except to change from writable to non-writable. AFAICT, this does not weaken
any assumptions that are safe to assume regarding ES5.1 non-native objects.

(As a further benefit, if we reconsider retroactive proxification for data
binding, this would also allow the monitoring of non-configurable writable
properties without needing per-property getters/setters.)

> However you cannot really configure it in the sense that you can't neither
> delete it nor re-configure it. "configurable" does not really mean that the
> property is configurable (not quote) on host objects.
>
> I'm just puzzled by the wording I think. "configurable:true" on normal
> native objects means "this property is configurable (delete +
> Object.defineProperty with any property descriptor)".
> However, for abnormal+non-native objects, the semantics of "configurable"
> is constrainted to the Universal property constraints, but does not give any
> insight on what you can do with the property.

Exactly. Outside of normal native, "configurable" represents only the
absence of knowledge about what can and cannot happen. Only non-configurable
gives any actual knowledge about what cannot happen.

> Exact semantics (what you can do with the property) is left at the
> discretion of the object implementor.
> The confusing part for me is probably the "-able" suffix which sounds like
> giving me an information on what I can do with the property (like
> "enumerable" do), but this is actually not the case at all for
> abnormal+non-native objects. It's not that big of a deal for abnormal native
> objects since I can read the spec to know what to expect from these.

Agreed. The naming is unfortunate. In retrospect the old negative names
(DontDelete, ReadOnly) were more accurate. However, this led into statements
full of double negatives. Even with our noses rubbed in this naming issue,
on the whole I'm glad we switched to positive names, and would do it over
again if given the chance.

Better would be accurate positive names, but none come to mind. Even though
it's too late to switch, if anyone has suggestions I'd like to hear them.

> On a last note, array.length already do respect all Universal property
> constraints since writable is true. Or am I missing something?

Yes. There are no violations of the universal constraints among the
specified normal and abnormal native behaviors. The reason we're discussing
reforming array.length is only our inability to emulate it using a proxy
mechanism that is itself constrained to enforce these constraints. Perhaps
the loophole above is a better answer? I don't see that it violates any
constraints and does seem to solve this emulate-ability problem.

Thanks for raising these issues!

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM