Cameron McCormack cam at mcc.id.au
Thu Jun 16 21:29:59 PDT 2011

Brendan Eich:
> Read-only and fixed length array subclassing should not require using
> a proxy to implement the subclass.

I forgot a requirement: that the array be dense, too.

> The value changing at any time should be ok as long as length is
> writable. Non-writable length value should not change (assuming
> non-configurable -- if configurable then reconfiguring to writable
> would allow new values to be put).

How about an array whose values might change, and whose length might
change, but which must not be allowed to be changed by user script: a
read only but not fixed length array host object?

This is essentially the same behaviour as a NodeList, without the
additional methods on it. So the value of the length property must be
able to be changed by the implementation.  Same for the individual array
element properties.  I don’t think we can get this with regular data
properties on a native Array object (or a subclass of one).

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/