Cameron McCormack cam at mcc.id.au
Thu Jun 16 20:58:57 PDT 2011

Mark S. Miller:
> Although
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proto_operator>
> still appears in "strawman", I believe we accepted its functionality
> (with concrete syntax still TBD) into ES-next "proposal" status, so
> it will become standard at the same time proxies will. Of course, the
> current WebIDL JS binding is targeting ES5 and so cannot directly rely
> on either proxies or "<|". But perhaps we should choose an ES5 host
> behavior for array host objects that anticipates reimplementing them
> using "<|" rather than proxies in the ES-next timeframe? Perhaps we
> should choose an ES5 behavior that leaves both future choices open? It
> sounds like we're already either there or almost there.

Maybe I was too eager: I guess subclassing array objects in this way
wouldn’t let us define arrays that are read only, or fixed length, or
whose values could be changed by the implementation at any time.  Is
that right?  If so, maybe array subclassing isn’t what we want here, and
using proxies with the Array prototype object in the prototype chain is
the way to go.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/