Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Jun 16 19:44:19 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam at mcc.id.au> wrote:

> Cameron McCormack:
> > > Web IDL requires various properties to be non-configurable, but the
> ones
> > > we care about here are just the ones that need to exist on objects that
> > > will have to be implemented using proxies, right?
>
> Mark S. Miller:
> > Yes. And of those, only the ones that need to have magical behavior that
> > violates the invariants associated with non-configurability. IIUC, this
> > exempts WebIDL constants, as they never violate those invariants, no
> matter
> > how weird their host object. Is this right?
>
> That’s right, they really are constant, and they live on objects with no
> magical behaviour.
>
> > > I believe that list is only:
> > >
> > >  1. the length own property on array host objects
> > >  2. each array index own property on an array host object
> >
> > By "array host objects", do you mean, for example, NodeList? Is there a
> > general definition of "array host object"?
>
> No, NodeList is a regular IDL interface which has getters/setters
> defined on it.
>
> Array host objects are ones that feel a bit like native Arrays but are
> under host object control and which are represented by T[] types in IDL.
> They’re actually pretty much like a shorthand for defining an interface
> like NodeList, except that they also have the Array prototype object in
> their prototype chain.
>
> (When we met late last year there was a hope to remove them from the
> spec due to them not being used anyway, but it turned out I was wrong,
> and they were being used.)
>
> The T[] types: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-array
>
> How values of these types are represented using array host objects in
> ES: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-array
>
> Maybe in the future when real subclassing of Array can be done, we can
> change the T[] type to do that instead of having completely separate
> objects.

Although <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proto_operator>
still appears in "strawman", I believe we accepted its functionality (with
concrete syntax still TBD) into ES-next "proposal" status, so it will become
standard at the same time proxies will. Of course, the current WebIDL JS
binding is targeting ES5 and so cannot directly rely on either proxies or
"<|". But perhaps we should choose an ES5 host behavior for array host
objects that anticipates reimplementing them using "<|" rather than proxies
in the ES-next timeframe? Perhaps we should choose an ES5 behavior that
leaves both future choices open? It sounds like we're already either there
or almost there.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM