Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Jun 16 16:27:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a second reason, mentioned recently: we are implementing the DOM
>> on top of proxies, and the current WebIDL spec has non-configurable
>> properties induced in its normative ES bindings from the IDL syntax. We want
>> to match the spec.
>>

> Perhaps the WebIDL spec should be revised in exactly the same we we're
> currently talking about revised arrays?
>

> It's in Last Call, so time is short. Also, implementations do matter, and
> non-configurable is valued by implementations that want to optimize by
> assuming the slot in the object won't go away. If we make Array length,
> NodeList length, etc. be configurable, we implementors will need some
> *other* hidden attribute.

There is already internal special case handling for every property that
needs to be magical. So having non-delete-ability be part of this special
case handling would seem natural. From your

> Bonus, I think this will simplify things in our implementation of Array
length vs. the ES5 Object.* APIs.

it might even be net more natural than the current situation.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM