Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Jun 16 09:22:41 PDT 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> We should have no more attribute "keywords" in property descriptors than we need to model the semantics we wish to reflect on via Object.* APIs and intercede in via proxies. Do we really want to split "DontDelete" back out of "configurable"?
>
> We do not. We need merely specify that (a non-frozen) array.length is configurable but that arrays refuse to delete them. This is just part of the magical length behavior provided by arrays, with the virtues that it can be faithfully emulated by proxies.

Clever. To rephrase your previous reply to avoid double-negatives ("this is not guaranteed not to be magical"), "configurable properties may behave magically". I agree it's the non-configurable magic that we should address.

Bonus, I think this will simplify things in our implementation of Array length vs. the ES5 Object.* APIs.