Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Wed Jun 15 16:14:18 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM, David Bruant <david.bruant at labri.fr> wrote:
> Le 15/06/2011 23:01, Tom Van Cutsem a écrit :
> > Just realized: even though an arrayProxy could update its fixed
> > "length" property, it would not be able to intercept updates "from the
> > outside" (i.e. updates to "length" by objects other than the handler).
> > I guess that capability is also needed to be able to "shrink" an array
> > if its "length" is decreased.
>
> There's something I don't understand about this whole conversation. Why does our emulated array need to claim that its length property is a non-configurable data property, as opposed to
> * a non-configurable accessor property
> * a configurable data property
> * a configurable accessor property
> ?
Because the ES5 spec. say the length property has attributes: writable: true, enumerable: false, configurable: false.  any of the above would be a minor variation, but still a variation from the specification.  If you feel comfortable with accepting that variation what other variations would you also be comfortable with accepting?  What variations would others be comfortable with accepting and what if their areas of comfort are different from yours?  How about a variation that ignores the restrictions on non-configurable Proxy properties.

> There can't be any ES3 code that would be broken by any of these other choices, since ES3 code can't ask about these attributes.

The issue isn't only about Array length or compatibility with existing user code.  It is about whether or not Proxies have the power to implement the sort of objects that have been created in the past by host objects and implementation extensions and even the ESstandard.  What if somebody said,  I have this great new system implementation language but it has an limitation that prevents it from implementing some features of the ES standard.  Is it ok, to just get the implementation as close as I can.  That's what they would likely do regardless of what you say, but would you be happy about that?

Allen