Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 15 13:48:37 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Tom Van Cutsem wrote:

> Object.defineProperty(arrayProxy, "length", { value: newValue });
>
> This will modify the fixed property, which is legal since it is writable.
> It may not be very elegant, but at least it's doable.

Great. When in doubt, use brute force.

> To be clear: what the strawman still doesn't allow is that a proxy would be able to emulate a non-writable, non-configurable data property whose value can still change.

Right, and I claim that is DOM crazyland host object behavior to leave behind in browser host object implementations.

We're redoing Gecko's DOM to be self-hosted in certain ways (nodelists via proxies) and experimenting with a fully self-hosted DOM. WebIDL is evolving to match.

Who needs more crazy? Not me.