Classes: suggestions for improvement

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 16:44:52 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
> > Does anybody know what Brendan meant in this txjs talk with “Classes made it (Yay, I think? Why am I sad?)”? Is he ambivalent about the proposal? Is there anything he doesn’t like?

> You can just ask me ;-).
> Something about classes in JS makes me sad, an emotional effect I can't explain fully. In part I fear the "lint brush" aspect I mentioned in the thread Irakli just followed up: class syntax will grow lots of hair over time. In part I think class is the wrong word, as cowboyd tweeted (see below).

(For some reason I read that as "a cowboy in tweed" which seems wrong
and possibly a metaphor for wrapping "prototypes in classes".)

I think "class" is the wrong word also. If the syntax is just syntax
then ECMAScript still won't have any new kind of "class" thing that it
didn't have before.

One thing that worries me about using the word "class" is that folks
will think they are getting the same type of "class" that they have in
the other language the know/use/love. That won't be the case. It will
a misleading facade and lead to resentment.

Peter