Is class syntax really necessary ?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Jun 12 15:25:08 PDT 2011

On Jun 12, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Irakli Gozalishvili wrote:
> On Monday, 2011-06-13 at 24:03 , Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>> On Jun 12, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Irakli Gozalishvili wrote:
>>> Here is gist I wrote before:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/986487#file_implementation.js
>>
>> What Function.create are you using there?
>>
>> Is there a missing return statement in function extend?
>
> Yeap, sorry! It's there now.

Ok. But what is that Function.create your gist relies on?

> Another idea I had was that super can be similar to private. Here is some example:

Please note that the private(this)/private(other) syntax is intentional straw, to be burned up and replaced with something better.

I think you're trying to self-host too much. People can write classes the hard way, with super too. They need sugar, not salt or pepper ;-).