how to create strawman proposals?

Waldemar Horwat waldemar at google.com
Thu Jun 2 18:25:31 PDT 2011

On 06/02/11 17:56, Kyle Simpson wrote:
>>> Is it available for general public members to register for an account to create strawman proposals for ES?
>>
>> No, it's an Ecma TC39 resource. Ecma needs IPR handoff per its patent covenant so this can't be a free-for-all, for better or worse.
>
> So if a non-TC39 member wants to create suggestions and proposals and ideas for the community to discuss, am I to understand that not only this list, but also the wiki that this list so frequently references, are not really intended for that?
>
> There've been several times on this list in various discussion threads where it was clear that only official-wiki-based strawmans were things people wanted to seriously discuss. And now to find out that such strawmans cannot even be authored by any of us non-committee members, it seems like it further reinforces the desire that there be some other forum for the "Rest of us"T to use to talk about *our* ideas, not just the ideas of the committee members.
>
> What's the best way for such informal and non-committee-sponsored discussions to proceed?

You can either become an ECMA member or convince one of the existing members to advance your proposal.  Having spent far more time than I would have liked on process discussions at the ECMA General Assembly level, there are good legal reasons for doing things this way.  IPR issues do come up and standards organizations have been burned by them.

     Waldemar