Array comprehensions shorter syntax (?)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 1 00:27:14 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:21 AM, Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:

> Ah, come on, of course I didn't compare them apples-to-apples. Just said that it's more likely that some elegant and powerful syntactic construction/sugar will be used more often than use-cases with WeakMaps and it turns out that much more time is given to WeakMaps than to p-matching.

Actually, you wrote "IMO this proposal is much more interesting and needed for the lang than e.g. WeakMaps", where "needed" sets up a false dilemma. There's "needed" and then there is "wanted". WeakMaps are needed in cases where you can't simulate them with existing facilities. Pattern-matching is wanted and you could argue "need" because of cost of implementing a matching library and calling functions instead of writing statements, but that is "just syntax".

As to which would is interesting or which would be used more, you're arguably right -- but that doesn't mean we face an either/or, or that proposals were done out of order...