Adding methods to {Array,String}.prototype

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Fri Jul 29 10:30:24 PDT 2011

>>> I like Underscore (http://documentcloud.github.com/underscore/). Should we standardize it? Not yet. But it points in the right direction to avoid OOP single-inheritance traps: functional programming, generic for all containers functions.
>>
>> I love true generic functions (as in “multiple dispatch”) and think that they would be a good match for JS (not any time soon, but one can dream). I see generic functions as complementary to single dispatch (including prototypes). Reenskaug and Coplien [1] seem to agree. Generic functions are also great for working with data coming from web services (e.g. JSON).
>
> I did not mean multimethods ("generic functions" is a confusing term, since it also means functions that work for parameters of any time; also "generic" suggests "generics", i.e. type parameters).

Understood, but generic functions (the way that Common Lisp and Dylan use that term) are a logical extension of JavaScript’s generic functions (the way ES-262 uses that term). Right now, JS generic functions have implicit contracts that one could make explicit (e.g. via some kind of duck typing). Type guards also seem loosely related.

> ES4 had a proposal for multimethods but I doubt it will make a come-back. Adding another dispatch mechanism to JS is a very hard sell.

Right. That’s where my dreams come in. ;-)

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

axel at rauschma.de
twitter.com/rauschma