Adding methods to {Array,String}.prototype

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Fri Jul 29 09:53:11 PDT 2011

> I like Underscore (http://documentcloud.github.com/underscore/). Should we standardize it? Not yet. But it points in the right direction to avoid OOP single-inheritance traps: functional programming, generic for all containers functions.

I love true generic functions (as in “multiple dispatch”) and think that they would be a good match for JS (not any time soon, but one can dream). I see generic functions as complementary to single dispatch (including prototypes). Reenskaug and Coplien [1] seem to agree. Generic functions are also great for working with data coming from web services (e.g. JSON).

[1] http://www.artima.com/articles/dci_vision.html

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

axel at rauschma.de