Adding methods to {Array,String}.prototype

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Thu Jul 28 02:19:14 PDT 2011

In general, I’m strongly in favor of adding more methods to these prototypes. I have always been impressed by how many useful data manipulation features were in the standard libraries of functional languages (e.g. Haskell) and in scripting languages such as Python. JavaScript should have more of these, perhaps by examining what functionality frameworks are providing in this area.

Do we have to wait for a collections hierarchy for more of these methods to be added? Couldn’t the relevant methods be easily moved to a superclass once that happens?

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

axel at rauschma.de
twitter.com/rauschma