JavaScript terminology: non-function-valued property

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Fri Jul 22 15:37:09 PDT 2011

Possible. I assumed, because String.prototype.length does not seem to be generic (in the sense that, say, String.prototype.trim() is).

 Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(String.prototype, "length")
{ value: 0,
  writable: false,
  enumerable: false,
  configurable: false }

In contrast, trim() is clearly borrowed from the wrapper’s prototype:

    > "".trim === String.prototype.trim
    true

ES-262, Sect. 8.4 only says: “The String type is the set of all finite ordered sequences of zero or more 16-bit unsigned integer values” (etc.). It does not mention how indexed access or length is handled.

On Jul 23, 2011, at 0:16 , Mike Shaver wrote:

> Which primitives have own properties?  I thought even "str".length conceptually came from the prototype.
>
> Mike
> On Jul 22, 2011 6:13 PM, "Axel Rauschmayer" <axel at rauschma.de> wrote:
> > To contrast non-method properties with methods:
> > - To say that instances usually only have non-method properties.
> > - To say that primitives can have non-method properties, but don’t have their own methods (they borrow them from their wrapper types).
> >
> > Maybe “non-method property” is good enough for that purpose.

> >> Why do you need this term? In what practical sentence would you use it?
> >>
> >> /be

> > --
> > Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
> >
> > axel at rauschma.de