An "extend" operator is a natural companion to <|

Luke Hoban lukeh at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 19 13:28:33 PDT 2011

  >> From discussions with some Microsoft dev teams, that could be a 3+ year difference in adoption timeline.
  > If this is a give me the goods now argument, and the goods can be expressed via functions, I'm with you.
  > If this is "new syntax takes too long to be usable due to downrev browsers, mainly IE", then that's no reason to stall progress on usable and new syntax for novel semantics (i.e., shallow continuations). Harmony requires not putting the language into a no-new-syntax straightjacket. That was ES3.1 -> ES5, and we are past it.

Agreed - my note was just a "most value to the most users the soonest" argument.  Syntax is clearly important, and many of the proposals can only reasonably be offered as syntax.  Some of the proposals that can be partly delivered as libraries still benefit significantly from syntax as well.  But the adoption timelines for the new library pieces and the new syntax pieces will be quite different, not just because of downrev browsers, but also because of breaking change burden, authoring convenience, maintenance of old script, etc.

Luke