An "extend" operator is a natural companion to <|

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Jul 19 12:16:29 PDT 2011

On Jul 19, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Luke Hoban wrote:

> The arguments in favor of a library alternative are:
> 1) Immediately useful to all JS developers
> 2) Simple, understandable syntax consistent with existing practice

I agree with all this, but demur here:

> From discussions with some Microsoft dev teams, that could be a 3+ year difference in adoption timeline.

If this is a give me the goods now argument, and the goods can be expressed via functions, I'm with you.

If this is "new syntax takes too long to be usable due to downrev browsers, mainly IE", then that's no reason to stall progress on usable and new syntax for novel semantics (i.e., shallow continuations). Harmony requires not putting the language into a no-new-syntax straightjacket. That was ES3.1 -> ES5, and we are past it.

But I quite agree that we should consider functions as alternatives to special forms where they are plausible (so, not for yield, to pick up the shallow continuations example).