An "extend" operator is a natural companion to <|

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 18 20:59:16 PDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

>> Even in Harmony, many of the new methods being adding are "static": Proxy.create(), Proxy.createFunction(), Proxy.isTrapping(), Object.getPropertyDescriptor(), Object.getPropertyNames(), Object.is(), Number.isFinite(), Number.isNan()... If anything non-instance methods are becoming more important in JS as time goes on (though modules might change that).
>
> Brendan and I recently had a discussion about some of these and it isn't clear that they are all in the correct places.  Of the ones you mentioned, I'm not so sure I would call Proxy a constructor.  (you never say, new Proxy() right?) it is really a factory object which means the methods you name are instance side.

No, rather Proxy is a module name. We could even spec it for ES.next as something users must import from a standard library MRL:

  module Proxy from "@proxy";

and avoid polluting the global scope with 'Proxy' -- users get to name the module. With ES.next modules, one can even selectively import:

  import createFunction from "@proxy";

> The Object refection methods were put on object because it was a convenient  "namespace" object. But that's not a style I would want to encourage for complex user applications.

It depends on whether we have set a precedent, and also on the domain type (see below).

> isFinite and isNaN probably should go on the instance side.

No, that requires an extra test, as we discussed re: isGenerator. These are intentional any -> boolean non-coercing functions, not methods. They must be callable on any type of argument without testing that the argument is a number and then using it to call a method.