[[Extensible]]and Proxies (Was: Proxy.isProxy )

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Jul 14 20:53:42 PDT 2011

On Jul 14, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> Implementations are free to add new built-in objects (see 4.3.28).  Without any stated requirements for such objects you have no guarantees.
> Quoting that section in full:
> 4.3.28
> built-in method
> method that is a built-in function
> NOTE Standard built-in methods are defined in this specification, and an ECMAScript implementation may specify
> and provide other additional built-in methods.
> My interpretation of this is simply that implementations can provide new built-in methods that are still constrained to operate as native functions if they are to be considered native functions. As with the specified built-in native functions, they can have [[Call]] and [[Construct]] methods that are not written in JavaScript. I don't understand what else you are reading into this, unless it's captured by the peek and poke discussion below.

sorry I meant to refer to 4.3.7 Built-in objects which using the term Native Object.

Note that the definition of Native Objects was changed in ES5 in a manner that I now think is inconsistent with web reality in that it now says that the semantics of (all) native objects are defined by the ES specification.  ES3 did not say that.