Collections API

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Wed Jul 13 04:30:01 PDT 2011

I’ve seen the possibility mentioned that JavaScript will get a collections API, in the long term. FWIW, the following paper is interesting related work.

http://www.doc.gold.ac.uk/~mas01cr/papers/ilc2007/sequences-20070301.pdf

“User-extensible sequences in Common Lisp”, Christophe Rhodes

ABSTRACT: Common Lisp is often touted as the programmable programming language, yet it sometimes places large barriers in the way, with the best of intentions. One of those barriers is a limit to the extensibility by the user of certain core language constructs, such as the ability to define subclasses of builtin classes usable with standard functions: even where this could be achievable with minimal penalties. We introduce the notion of user-extensible sequences, describing a protocol which implementations of such classes should follow. We show examples of their use, and discuss the issues observed in providing support for this protocol in a Common Lisp, including ensuring that there is no performance impact from its inclusion.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

axel at rauschma.de
twitter.com/rauschma