using Private name objects for declarative property definition.

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 11 15:48:44 PDT 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> I think there is a (usually unstated) desire to also test for ES.next features that may also start to show up as extensions to "ES5" level implementations. For example, generators in Firefox. You can't depend upon modules in such situations.

The thread with subject "Design principles for extending ES object abstractions" got into this, and I *thikn* (I can't be sure because he hasn't replied yet) Luke Hoban, Dave Herman, and I were kinda/sorta agreeing that the "old scripts" (ES5 and below) need just one API entry point: SystemLoader as a global property (I misspelled it Object.ModuleLoader in my reply to Luke).

Once old script has object-detected its way to joy via SystemLoader, it can load built-in ES6+ libraries such as "@name" and "@iter".

The API for module detection is under development, but it would allow both synchronous testing for a built-in or already-loaded MRL, and an async form for loading from an MRL over the 'net.

Given this (forgive the lack of complete specs, but it's enough, I claim), why do we need anything more for future-friendly "feature detection"?