I18N API status update

Jungshik Shin (신정식, 申政湜) jungshik at google.com
Wed Jul 6 15:47:36 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Below is the summary of changes we made on I18N API at the last face-to-face
meeting along with the list of open issues to discuss.  The summary and the
list were prepared by Nebojsa Ciric (cira at google.com). The full API is
available at

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:i18n_api>
doku.php?id=strawman:i18n_api<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:i18n_api>
, which will be used as the basis for first draft for the standard document
to deliver.

Language matching
- Match base language (de-DE) with supported locales.
- Keep the original extension for matched locale.
- If one of the requested locales is exact match to supported locales then
exact match should be picked (see examples).
- Order in the priority list breaks ties.
- Pick navigator.language as default locale in browser environment.

Example:
request [A, B], supported {A, B}, pick A, order breaks tie.
request [A, B], supported {A', B}, pick B. A' is a near perfect match.
request [A, B], supported {A', B'}, implementation dependent.

Date time formatting
- timeStyle - long and full values are optional.
- dateStyle - medium and full values are optional.
- Added link to LDML for skeleton fields description (to strawman).
- Narrow width is optional for date time symbols ('abbreviated' and 'wide'
are required).
- Calendar option removed from settings. We'll use locale
-u-ca-calendar_name to specify calendar.

Number formatting
- Do we need integer style? Probably not since decimal style can do the same
if we pass integer as a value.
- Keep pattern parameter for cases where users want strict format.
- Add skeleton to help with automatic placement of: sign, currency, percent
symbol and grouping digits. Added link to design doc at ICU site.
- Added link to LDML spec for number format (to strawman).

Collation
- Drop type parameter (search/sort), and let user set sensitivity level for
search.
- Added detailed section with parameters to strawman (numeric,
ignorePunctuation, sensitivity(base, case, accent, all, default...).
- User can specify some of the parameters in the languageID i.e. -u-kn-true.

Parameter/error handling (Open issues):
- Use default locale in case none is supplied or matched.
- For dates return current date
- For numbers return "NaN"
- Throwing an exception is ugly since each format/constructor would have to
be enclosed in try/catch.

The document is at http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:i18n_api

Jungshik