\u0085 whitespace or a random unicode character by ES5?

Dave Fugate dfugate at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 6 11:09:46 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter van der Zee [mailto:ecma at qfox.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:57 AM
To: Dave Fugate
Cc: es-discuss at mozilla.org
Subject: Re: \u0085 whitespace or a random unicode character by ES5?

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Dave Fugate <dfugate at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Several test262 test cases operate on the assumption '\u0085', aka
> Next Line, is considered a whitespace character and I'd like to get
> some clarification on whether it really is or not as-per ES5.1.
>
> Table 3 of ES5, Line Terminator Characters, does not call out \u0085
> as being a valid line terminator.  It does however state:
>
>                 Only the characters in Table 3 are treated as line
> terminators. Other new line or line breaking characters are treated as
> white space but not as line terminators.
>
> This raises two questions:
>
> 1.       Is Next Line considered to be a 'new line' or 'line breaking
> character'?  By definition, the answer seems to be yes

I would say no. 7.3 clearly states it's NOT a line terminator.

[DWF] Sorry, for the confusion - I should have been more clear here.  What I meant was is Next Line considered to be a 'new line' or 'line breaking character' *by Unicode 3.0* (as it's already established ES5.1 does not view it as a line terminator).

> 2.       Next Line is not called out anywhere in Table 2, Whitespace
> Characters.  Does this mean Table 2 is simply missing a row for the
> clause from "Line Terminators" above, or that the clause should not even exist?

Or 7.2 should be extended with noting that any unicode line terminator that's not listed in 7.3 is also considered (regular) white space, as per 7.2.
[DWF] Good idea.

- peter