Minor type confusion in proxies proposal?

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Sat Jul 2 10:20:31 PDT 2011

Hi Tom.

On 2 July 2011 13:50, Tom Van Cutsem <tomvc.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> First, you're right about the typing issue:
> In ES5, for values of type Object, the signature for [[DefineOwnProperty]]
> would be:
> [[DefineOwnProperty]](P: a property name, Desc: an internal property
> descriptor, Throw: a boolean)
> On trapping proxies, that signature would need to change to:
> [[DefineOwnProperty]](P: a property name, Desc: an Object, Throw: a boolean)

I don't think such a change is consistent. [[DefineOwnProperty]] is
invoked in a number of places in the spec, and I think in many of them
the type of the receiver is not distinguished and may well be a proxy,
so a proxy may then receive both kinds of descriptors. Moreover, I
think it would be a mistake to make the appropriate case distinction
everywhere -- you really want the internal method to have the same
signature in all cases.

> With that, I believe the strawman is otherwise internally consistent. In
> [[DefineOwnProperty]] step 5, what will be passed to the user-defined
> "defineProperty" trap is a proper Object, not an internal descriptor.
> I did clarify the note you referred to, to be more explicit in this regard.
> I don't see an alternative to changing the signature of
> [[DefineOwnProperty]]. It can't just receive an internal descriptor, as it
> doesn't preserve any non-standard attributes.

How about simply bypassing [[DefineOwnProperty]] in
Object.defineProperty for proxies, as I suggested in my reply to
David? That seems to be the only place where additional objects can
occur, or am I wrong?

Cheers,
/Andreas