"Harmony is a super-set of ES5 strict"

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Feb 25 09:47:33 PST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> As far as the presence of new, detectible properties such as Proxy, no opt-in is needed and non-strict code can detect such additions. With modules you'll have to opt in, but proxies at least we prototyped as JSON and other additions were done: the old-fashioned way. No name collisions have been found yet.

To be clear, module syntax requires Harmony opt-in. After that, the names you compose in any (lexical only -- no more global object at top of scope chain [you can still get to it but not via var!]) scope will be names *you* choose. You name the modules, so if you had a pre-existing "Proxy" binding and we had a standard MRL for Harmony Proxies, you could declare

  module HarmonyProxy = "...";

Details of "..." TBD, I've used "@std:proxy" and the like in sketches.