[whatwg] Cryptographically strong random numbers

John Kemp john at jkemp.net
Wed Feb 16 09:55:27 PST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:45 PM, David Wagner wrote:

> Brendan Eich wrote:
>> I'm happy if the answer is "all OSes, mobile and desktop, provide enough
>> high quality randomness". Looking for data if anyone has it.
>
> Here's what I've been able to find.
>
> All desktop OSes that I'm aware of provide a way to get
> crypto-quality randomness, including Windows, Mac, and Unix.
>
> For mobile OSes, it looks like the following OSes provide a way
> to get crypto-quality randomness: Android, Nokia's Maemo, MeeGo,
> iOS on iPhone, Blackberry OS.  I can't attest to that personally;
> it is based on the following:
> http://security.stackexchange.com/q/2152/971

I'll add that the Symbian mobile OS also provides a crypto-quality RNG, as described at http://library.forum.nokia.com/topic/S60_5th_Edition_Cpp_Developers_Library/GUID-35228542-8C95-4849-A73F-2B4F082F0C44/sdk/doc_source/guide/Security-subsystem-guide/Crypto/RNG/index.html#Crypto%2erng%2eindex

Regards,

- John