[whatwg] Cryptographically strong random numbers

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Feb 13 20:27:13 PST 2011

Yes, we aspire to standardize a good RBG as an "upgrade" to Math.random -- obviously a new name would be needed, but with docs and evangelization we would hope to steer people away from that old p.o.s. I copied from Java in 1995 (quote unquote).

See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:random-er for the mostly-aspirational page. As Boris says, this is a core language strawman proposal, not something we want browser-only (think http://nodejs.org/).

/be