ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Dec 31 20:59:28 PST 2011

There is no 5.5 -- new features can be used from unversioned script, but those that break backward compatibility (old code running in new browser) must be inside a new special form that expresses explicit opt-in. This means

  yield reserved in function*
  let reserved in module body (however declared)
  free variable error checking in module body
  completion reform in module body
  typeof null reform in module body (debatable)

Global code still can use new features such as module declarations. That means your "global = ES5" does not work. Do not linearize onto a version number line.

/be