Why we need to clean up __proto__

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Dec 30 14:24:16 PST 2011

I don't think __proto__-supporting implementations will do anyone any favors by banning the special meaning of __proto__ in ES5 strict mode. The likeliest outcomeis further non-adoption of ES5 strict mode by developers, who already avoid it because of deoptimization effects.

In particular, without an alternative literal form such as

  null <| {...}

(the ... is meta), removing support for magic __proto__ in object literals simply prevents "use strict"; from being added to code that makes "good" use of __proto__, e.g. predefine an object literal's [[Prototype]] to null.

If we want to defer strict mode adoption until <| is added, we'll have less time gaining feedback on the migration costs of ES5 strict mode. This could be worth that cost if "use strict"; is too hard to test both ways, compared to a true

  use strict;

or

  use version 6;

pragma that downrev browsers will fail to parse rather than silently ignore. But do we really want to add another reason for developers to avoid ES5 strict mode?

Separately from that, implementors won't want to evolve the meaning of ES5 strict much. Continuing to add restrictions to it, especially runtime semantic shifts instead of early errors, as in what's proposed below, smells very bad to me. Progressively more restrictive implementations risk developer blow-back for the hard-to-find bugs introduced by such shifts.

/be