How to clean up __proto__ (was: Why we need to clean up __proto__)

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 03:53:30 PST 2011

Le 30/12/2011 02:28, John J Barton a écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com
> <mailto:bruant.d at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Le 30/12/2011 01:00, Lasse Reichstein a écrit :
>     > On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Mark S. Miller
>     <erights at google.com <mailto:erights at google.com>> wrote:
>     I've been thinking about this "run first" idea for some time.
>     Since on a
>     webpage, security seems to depend on your ability to run code
>     first, it
>     would be interesting if there was a way to ensure that some code
>     (preferably defensive) is run before *any* other code. Though I find
>     this interesting, I'm still not sure whether this would be a good
>     or bad
>     idea. I'm also clueless on how it would look like.
>     Creative ideas welcome.
>

> The browser runs first: what can't it do that you want to support?
I was thinking of the case of XSS for instance where your code is in
competition with unexpected and malicious code. What I've said before
applies and even against an XSS attack, you can prevent cookie theft as
long as you run first.
I can't see a way for the browser to enforce that trusted code run
before untrusted code.

David