How to clean up __proto__ (was: Why we need to clean up __proto__)

Lasse Reichstein reichsteinatwork at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:00:12 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> Hi Allen, that's very clever. But I don't think it is needed.
>
> David is right about running first. I also don't have a proof, but
> practically I'm sure that for JS as it is and will continue to be under
> ES-next, unless some trusted code runs in a context (frame) to initialize
> itself before any untrusted code runs in that context, all is lost anyway.

Pretty certainly.
Malicious code can save and poison all of the methods on Object and
Object.prototype, so it shouldn't be hard to ensure that
Object.prototype.__proto__ is never made unconfigurable, so you can
always put the setter back if you need it and remove it again
afterwards.
The only real question is whether it's detectable. I'm not convinced
either way (there's a lot of subtle tricks and subtle counter-tricks
possible, and I've been writing this paragraph for a while and kept
coming up without counters to my previous examples in both directions
:).

/L