Preparing for type guards

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Dec 29 10:09:52 PST 2011

Aren't you assuming a certain kind of guards, namely converting rather than throwing? There's no way to future-proof without more agreement on what the default meaning of x :: Number would be, and (AFAIK) we don't have consensus yet.

Anyway, no one is going to start writing imperative mouthfuls such as Object.guard(x, G) all over. That's not wanted. If guards arrive with compatible semantics, then people would have to plow through their code removing all such boilerplate in favor of guard syntax. But that's a best-case scenario.

Also, just on the number point: people don't all write x = Number(x). You'll see x = +x, or an application-specific conversion -- or no conversion at all (which could be a bug, but might not be due to constraints enforced elsewhere).

/be