Function proxy length (Was: length property value for functions with parameter enhancements)

David Bruant david.bruant at labri.fr
Tue Aug 30 14:16:39 PDT 2011

Le 30/08/2011 21:40, Brendan Eich a écrit :
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:
>
>> On 30 August 2011 18:41, David Bruant <david.bruant at labri.fr
>> <mailto:david.bruant at labri.fr>> wrote:
>>
>>     This would facilitate the author work when it comes to creating
>>     functions that look like functions without having to always
>>     include some initialization code for .length, .prototype and such.
>>     It will still be possible to opt-out of .length or .prototype if
>>     the author doesn't
>>

>> I don't think it's worth introducing special cases in the semantics,
>> especially not for something like length.
>
> Perhaps, but I think David has a stronger case for opting out of
> .prototype.
Actually that's what current function proxies do by default (no
.prototype unless otherwise specified). My suggestion is to put a
.prototype by default with keeping the option to opt-out (same with
.length, etc.)

> Indeed self-hosting some of the ES1-5 builtins requires doing so, somehow.
Couldn't it be achived with bound functions (which do not have an own
"prototype" property)?

David