length property value for functions with parameter enhancements

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Aug 29 16:38:22 PDT 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 1:36 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> You can't use one integer-valued property to convey two meanings. F.length is either minimum non-default/rest parameters, or a count of non-rest parameters. I don't see a sane alternative. The count of non-rest parameters is not that interesting, since it is one fewer than the full count of all parameters (modulo destructuring, where it must count each actual position, not all the names of destructured-to formals). That leaves F.length counting only non-default/rest params.

I can think of two more plausible ones:

1) the number of parameter positions specified in the formal parameter list include  (I'm avoiding talking about names because of destructing):
  function (a,b=1,...c) {}  //length==3
  function (...c) {} // length=1

2) the number of parameter positions (including the rest parameter if specified) that precede the first default-value parameter (or the end of the list if there are no default-value parameters):
  function (a,b,c) {}  //length==3
  function (a,b,...c) {}  //length==3
  function (...c) {} // length=1
  function (a=1,b=2) {}  //length==0
 function (a,b=1) {}  //length==1
 function (a,b=1,...c) {}  //length==1

1) is the simplest rule and in the absence of a clear use case is probably as good as any other

2) Treats rest as meaning "usually at least one" (unless following a default-value parameter) which seems to be the way open-ended parameter lists were interpreted in assigning length to most such Chapter 15 functions.  I think that this rule would yield the most matches  with the specified lengths of chapter 15 functions when their signatures are rewritten using default-value and rest parameter notation.

Allen