An experiment using an object literal based class definition pattern

Douglas Crockford douglas at crockford.com
Fri Aug 5 12:54:39 PDT 2011

On 11:59 AM, Bob Nystrom wrote:
> Haven't we done that with ES1-3 already? Users have had 15 years of
> prototypes and what they chose to do was make classes. We've got
> Closure's goog.extends(), Dojo's dojo.declare(), Prototype's
> Class.create() (ironic, given the name of the framework!), JS.Class,
> and CoffeeScript's class syntax. How many more cows do we need before
> that path is ready for paving?
This doesn't look like a path at all. The cows are all over the place.
If we saw a lot of convergence, then I might say you have a good point.
If you can convince Closure, Dojo,Prototype, and the others to all do it
in the Same Right Way, then there would be a strong case to say that
ought to go into the language.

There is a difference between a cow path and a field of cows. We should
not attempt to pave the whole field, and we should be careful about
following too closely behind any one cow.