July TC39 meeting notes, day 1

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 12 15:07:41 PDT 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 7:55 AM, Tom Van Cutsem wrote:

> 2011/8/12 Andreas Rossberg <rossberg at google.com>
> On 12 August 2011 13:53, Tom Van Cutsem <tomvc.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think I found a compelling and easy-to-understand
> > rule for determining whether or not a trap needs access to proxy/receiver:
> > if the trap deals with inherited properties, it needs access to |proxy|.
>
> [...]
>
> Although that rule seems fairly simple, I still find a half/half
> situation unnecessarily confusing and error-prone. I would strongly
> vote for making the API consistent. That is, either equip all methods
> with a proxy argument (preferably as first), or none.
>
> Despite the simple rule, I too would prefer passing |proxy| to all traps (but not as first argument), even though, as Brendan noted, it's not strictly necessary and consistency in one dimension sacrifices consistency in another. It would be good to hear more opinions on this.

Mark repeated the reasons I gave to put proxy last, which Andreas has yet to rebut :-P. Our reasons are about usability, which trumps aesthetics every time (in my youth I favored little-endian byte order because LSbyte on Lowest-address was prettier due to the least/lowest rhyming than alternatives; then I had to read hexdumps...).