July TC39 meeting notes, day 1

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 8 13:13:08 PDT 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Kevin Reid wrote:

>> Arguably, making a proxy trap return getters/setters seems a somewhat
>> pointless use case anyway. But nevertheless we need to have some
>> reasonable semantics for it.
>
> It allows a proxy to pretend to be an object which supports
> Object.defineOwnProperty normally.
>
> It allows a proxy to emulate, or wrap, an ordinary object which
> happens to have some accessor properties, while still being
> transparent to reflection (which I understand is one of the goals of
> the proxy facility).

Good point. So we are not going in a circle -- we're spiraling toward a conclusion which is not that proxy should be provided to all traps, or none. The get and set derived traps are special: they call through to accessors.

(Proxy gurus, please check me if I'm misstating this. We need to build up non-guru understanding of the full design's rationale.)