July TC39 meeting notes, day 1

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 4 10:34:55 PDT 2011

On Jul 31, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Sean Eagan wrote:

> A 'receiver' argument is not needed because it would never be
> different than the proxy, and the proxy can either be passed as an
> argument or stored either as an own property of the handler, or as a
> value keyed by the handler in a weak map, which there seems to have
> been TC39 concensus on.

Ok, right -- even without the extra proxy parameter in addition to receiver, dropping receiver makes sense. Sorry to go in a circle on this.

It's a trap API change, and I agree with Mark that we need Tom to bless it.

> Regarding whether or not a proxy argument should be added, there do
> seem to be advantages to passing the proxy as an argument, but I don't
> feel particularly strong about it.

There is a downside, Mark noted it in the meeting: touching the proxy is highly likely to diverge in runaway recursion.

>  I do however feel strongly that a
> 'proxy' argument should not be added selectively to just the 'get' and
> 'set' trap, or any other limited set of traps.  There are surely use
> cases for accessing the proxy within all traps, so for consistency's
> sake it seems the method for accessing the proxy should be the same
> across all traps.

Agreed.

/be