Existential operator

Kyle Simpson getify at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:38:35 PDT 2011

> See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:default_operator --
> the proposal there is ?? and ??= since single ? is ambiguous after an
> expression due to conditional expressions (?:).

The "default operator" doesn't address a significant part of what Dmitry is
asking for -- the . in the ?. usage -- which allows the property access to
be expressed only once and used for both the test and assignment.

>> let street = user.address?.street
>>
>> which desugars e.g. into:
>>
>> street = (typeof user.address != "undefined" && user.address != null)
>>    ? user.address.street
>>    : undefined;

Part of what Dmitry asked for, I'd like to see in the plain ?: operator, and
it seems like it would be possible to disambiguate from a top-down parser
perspective. I would like to see the `:` ("else condition") portion of a ?:
expression be optional. For instance:

var a = b ? c;  // aka, `var a = b ? c : undefined`

The other (more awkward/obscure looking) way to do this is:

var a;
b && a = c;

The difference between the sytnax sugar I'm asking for and the "default
operator" in the strawman is that ?: (or &&) allows for separate expressions
for the test (`b`) and the success_value (`c`), whereas ?? requires that the
test expression and success_value be the same expression.

For instance:

var a = (b > 5) ? b : undefined;

In this case, the ?? "default operator" is of no use. But being able to drop
the `: undefined` part, and also avoid using the more awkward looking &&
syntax, would certainly be a useful sugar.

--Kyle