"Syntax for Efficient Traits" is now ready for discussion (was: Classes as Sugar is...)

Dmitry A. Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 13:18:53 PDT 2010

  On 13.09.2010 21:13, Mark S. Miller wrote:
> Responding to Brendan's challenge at
> <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-September/011825.html>,
> I've been working up
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:syntax_for_efficient_traits>.
> Given the revival of that thread today, now seems like an opportune
> time to post it.
>
> Seeing as how classes-as-sugar is getting a much cooler reception on
> the list than traits, if there are no objections, I propose to use the
> timeslot on the agenda currently reserved from classes-as-sugar to
> instead discuss traits and traits vs classes-as-sugar.
>
> "Syntax for Efficient Traits" at
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:syntax_for_efficient_traits> is
> now ready for discussion.

I didn't finished a detailed reading yet, but from the brief scanning,
syntactically, I think /=>/ and /trait class/ are not needed.

/trait class EnumerableTrait() => {/

instead better:

trait Enumerable {

/class Interval(min, max) => {/

instead better:

class Interval(min, max) {

or even (with initialize method)

class Interval {
   function initialize(min, max) {}
}

Superfluous symbols are not needed.

And still, don't forget about the (vertical) inheritance, i.e. class Foo
may /extends/ Bar. If there will be no (delegation based) inheritance,
such classes won't be needed, because they will be just casual
pattern-factories. In addition, mixins/traits, being a horizontal
inheritance (the augmentation of the vertical code reuse) are also good
to have as delegation based. I think that you (and Tom) used statically
augmented (a method per instance) object not because you like it
ideologically, but because it's not possible to implement it
cross-browser in nowadays.

Dmitry.