Classes as Sugar is now ready for discussion

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 9 16:31:32 PDT 2010

> Also, the duality of Object.create vs Traits.create accommodates traditional vs high integrity quite well -- without AFAICT compromising either.

It creates a false choice, though (all or nothing). IIUC, with Object.create, you don't even get the conflict checking. And then you've really lost the key benefit of traits.

I think there's room for alternatives in the traits space -- for example, something similar wrt trait composition, but that didn't bind |this| or freeze. That way, you could still integrate traits with the existing prototype system. For example, to compose traits to create an object that you then use as the prototype for a constructor. This would allow for the "vtables" approach and would also give you the ability to specify initialization behavior to invoke on instantiation, which you can't do with traits.js.

Dave