WeakMap API questions?

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Sep 7 09:07:25 PDT 2010

[replying to the two issues separately]

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> Syntax aside, is the observable semantics of Names different from
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:inherited_explicit_soft_fields>?
> How? If the only semantic difference is (not normally observable) less
> aggressive GC obligations, great. I'm confident we can converge those.
> Anything else?

I don't believe that the GC obligations differ.  In particular, I
don't believe that the spec rules out a no-GC-ever implementation, in
which the two would have identical space behavior.  That is, in your
table on the inherited_explicit_soft_fields page, I don't think that
'must not retain' is ever an obligation we impose on ES
implementations.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu