Const functions with joining is ready for discussion

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Mon Sep 6 07:47:50 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2010, at 7:19 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> At the last EcmaScript meeting, I proposed the "const function" notation
> seen at <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:const_functions>.
>
> Someone -- my apologies, I forget who -- suggested that const functions
> would make the old never-implemented ES3 joining optimization safe. (If you
> don't know what that is, don't worry about it. The new explanation is self
> contained.) I have now enhanced that strawman page with a promotion rule for
> const functions that provides this optimization benefit is a predictable
> manner.
>
> Opinions?
>

> Forgive my outsider comment. I was not at the meeting where this was
> proposed, so this may have been discussed. But it seems like using 'const'
> in place of 'function' may be syntactically valid but it's confusing to
> read. It seems like 'const function', while more wordy, would be more clear,
> as in:
>
> const function foo(a) {return a(foo);}
>
> Omitting the 'function' keyword is going to make many instances of this
> look like a function call rather than a function declaration. Does that
> cause parsing problems or something?

This was raised at the meeting without resolution. As I said then, if
necessary to get consensus, I am willing to agree to "const function". That
said, I don't like its verbosity. Of all things that need to by
syntactically lightweight, function expressions are the most pressing.
That's why we keep trying to find a shorter syntax. (I still like "#" FWIW)

If we accept const function, frankly, for the sake of readability, I would
probably continue to write

    list.filter(function(e) { return e % 2 === 0; })

rather than

    list.filter(const function(e) { return e % 2 === 0; })

unless I knew that the loss of efficiency, security, or simplicity actually
matters in this individual case. After all, as Sussman & Abelson say
(paraphrasing from memory): "Programs should be written primarily for people
to read and only secondarily for machines to execute." I do see how

    list.filter(const(e) { return e % 2 === 0; })

can seem confusing at first. But even for a reader who doesn't know that
"const" is a keyword, the code above still wouldn't be a valid function call
because of the immediately following body. I've been using this shorter
syntax on slides and have never seen anyone confuse it with a function call.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM