WeakMap API questions?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 3 11:32:07 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> From email on this thread and from private email I've received, I'm a bit worried that my earlier message was misunderstood.

I wrote "covert channel" too, when inviiting you to reply -- sorry about that, you're right that the side channel is the bigger worry.

(Will anything solve that problem, short of the kind of communication technology described in science fiction, e.g the phones in http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Lines-Bear-Greg/dp/0345448375 ?)

> (Fortunately, regarding the WeakMap enumerability question, we seem to have consensus to stick with non-enumerability on other grounds anyway. But this side channel question will reappear so we may as well understand the limits on how well we can resist them.)

Leo does not concur and I suspect others (Arv) agree with him.

IMHO Leo's point about weak listener maps and FRP is a good challenge to the consensus that you, Erik Corry, and I among others do share. I need to read Greg Cooper's thesis and medidate on our myriad C++ weak listener use cases before replying further.