death to style guidelines

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Sep 1 19:03:21 PDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:22 PM, Irakli Gozalishvili wrote:

> I have not seen the post before, but it perfectly expresses my concerns.

Here is an older one, from Ken Arnold in 2004, along the very same lines:

> I still do think though that if breaking backwards compatibility is on the table solving "syntactic noise" issue is not such a bad idea even if it means changing a skin it makes devs more aware of a change.

Backward compatibility won't be broken except around the edges, where browsers differ anyway, or there's a big gain in breaking.

What you proposed is way too big a break. Apart from the costs to implementors, users would have to hassle with two completely different syntaxes. It's not worth it.

> Both skulpt & coffee are good toys, but don't think it's practical to use them for a real apps.

Browser-based translation or "re-skinning" is increasingly practical, if you really want different syntax.

> BTW blessing one of the coding styles as Dmitry suggested may be a successful attempt for solving at least half of the issue.

Blessing or cursing won't change divergent styles in use today. The point of Rob's blog post and Ken Arnold's before it is to make the language parse style. That is a good idea for new languages, IMHO. But it's kind of off topic here.