Concerns about weak refs and weak maps.

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 28 14:38:37 PDT 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Hudson, Rick wrote:

> I have concerns about weak refs and weak maps, one concern related to usability, one related to performance bugs, and another other related to changing the complexity of the GC algorithm.

Hi Rick, your comments are on target, but I'll differ on some fine points below. Thanks for writing.

> Usability
> Weak maps act as a GC API and in doing so violate GC’s greatest strength:  the user does not have to be concerned with memory management.  Since the user can never observe that a key/value pair has been deleted,  weak maps are much better than weak refs but they still seem capable of causing hard to diagnose and fix performance bugs related to memory pressure and the particular GC implementation.

This is all true, but developers are already concerned with memory management. GC is good, I like it, but it is not and never will be perfect (enough). Even V8 is facing criticism in its nodejs.org embedding, for among other things having too-small heap limits. Node users are retracing the JVM user footprints and asking for an explicit library call, gc(), to force collection.

So weakmaps can't be the breaking point that throws concern over memeory management via GC into users' faces. It's an issue on the client side too, already (and for many years, mostly due to cycles crossing through the DOM, which is under separate, often ref-counted, management, back to JS via the global object containing a closure capturing its environment, including document).

Plus, weakmaps give JS bridge-builders and compiler/runtime writers a needed tool, without which the only options are too costly (linear search of an array matching object reference identity) and leak-prone (strong references only).

>  GC implementation
> Software stacks on multicores will need GCs to become increasingly concurrent and latency free. Weak maps cause concurrent GCs and additional mutator synchronizations.  While a concurrent GC already has to do some synchronization, each additional synchronization point impedes scalability. My concern is that the number of synchronization points might be proportional to the number of <k, v> pairs in the weak maps (see below).

Browsers do not multithread JS, the language has no such execution model. More, it won't get one. Nodejs uses a single thread for all requests, requiring continuation passing style coding. There are alternatives, along Erlang lines, but they do not involve shared mutable state. So no global, concurrent GC is in the cards, on client or server -- my best projection (and strong advice!).

>  GC Complexity
> Another potential performance bug is that the complexity of the Abstract GC Algorithm at http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:weak_maps appears to be O(n**2), since each loop may only discover a single retained key k from (k,v) whose walk of the related value v discovers only a single unretained k. This would then be repeated and require rescanning all the weak maps in the each of the following iterations. Concurrent GCs would probable require one or more mutator synchronizations at each iteration.

Ignoring the concurrent GC concern, which I believe does not apply to JS because JS won't have threads and shared mutable state, you're right. Weak maps make GC potentially costly. Andreas Gal has an implementation in progress for Firefox and he can comment on this point.

>  My sense is that the value of a simple efficient concurrent GC and reduced latency is higher than the value of weak maps so weak maps should not be part of the standard.

If you remove the concurrent GC concern, then what is your sense?