New topic regarding Proxies: intercession for ===

Mike Samuel mikesamuel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 10:20:14 PDT 2010

2010/10/27 Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>:
> On Oct 27, 2010, at 4:12 PM, P T Withington wrote:
>
> On 2010-10-27, at 17:09, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
> JS will never be as simple as Self, but with proxies and value types based
> on them, it seems we might have get very close to the "right" answer to
> David's question.
>
> 2p. from the Dylan POV:  Dylan only had equality and identity (thinking Lisp
> had just way too many equivalences).  Dylan's MOP let you override (the
> equivalent of) `new` and `==`, but not `===`.  If you wanted value objects
> that were indistinguishable, you wrote a `new` implementation that always
> returned the identical object for parameters that would otherwise create
> `==` values (using a weak-key table).  If you only cared about equality, you
> wrote a `==` method that implemented your equality test.  You chose based on
> whether you expected to do more constructing or more comparing.
>
> We talked about this during the decimal discussions in past TC39 meetings,
> but hash-cons'ing decimal non-literals, esp. intermediate results in
> arithmetic expression evaluations, is too expensive for hardcore numerical
> performance folks.
> If value types are frozen all the way down and they bottom out soon enough,
> then comparing references or (if those do not match) referents, byte-wise
> and deeply, should be enough for default ===. It won't handle -0m === 0m or

I can see why decimal needs to have multiple zero values since decimal
values carry a precision.
But can implementors of custom numeric types reuse the existing NaN value?
If so, then equality only needs to be programmable to allow
non-identical values to compare as equals, not to introduce any new
non reflexively equal values.  That might be a simpler problem to
address.