Proxies: get+fn vs. invoke

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:35:53 PDT 2010


2010/10/20 Dmitry A. Soshnikov <dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com>

>  (I answer both -- Brendan's and Mark's letters for convenience in here).
>
>
> On 20.10.2010 21:06, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
>  On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Dmitry A. Soshnikov <
> dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  OK, I'd like nevertheless to continue the discussion with possible
>> decisions.
>>
>> Here is a description of how [[Get]] method can work of a trapping proxy
>> object (I took the basis from the proxy semantics page --
>> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxies_semantics#semantics_of_proxies
>> ):
>>
>> [[Get]] (P)
>>
>> When the [[Get]] internal method of a trapping proxy O is called with
>> property name P, the following steps are taken:
>>
>>    1. Let handler be the value of the [[Handler]] internal property of O.
>>    2. Let get be the result of calling the [[Get]] internal method of
>> handler with argument “get”.
>>    3. If get is undefined, return the result of performing the default
>> behavior, by consulting handler’s “getPropertyDescriptor” trap.
>>    4. If IsCallable(get) is false, throw a TypeError exception.
>>    5. Let getResult be the result of calling the [[Call]] internal method
>> of get providing handler as the this value, O as the first argument and P as
>> the second argument.
>>    6. if getResult is undefined and [[HasProperty]](P)
>>
>
>  [[HasProperty]] takes O as its receiver (this) parameter, so doesn't this
> break double-lifting? (
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxies#a_simple_membrane)
>
>
>
> Hm.. Actually, I don't completely understand what is "double lifting" (a
> proxied proxy?) as well as the whole membrane example (to many
> wrap-wrap-wrap and a every time a creating of a new function), but I think I
> should carefully read Mark's "markm-thesis.pdf" paper. Though, your example
> from slides is simpler than on the strawman page (but there too -- wrap
> calls wrapFunction, which in turn calls wrap again -- not so easy to get
> from the first glance, but I'll look closer).
>
> However, if someone can clarify it (the main and basic idea in "two words"
> and regarding "double lifting" too) I'll be very thankful, 'cause it's
> interesting.
>
> Anyway, is there an alternative how [[HasProperty]] can work correctly? I
> just though, that it's called by the "has" hook of a handler, which in turn
> can "lie" of course (i.e. return true when a property does not exist -- in
> such a case, noSuchMethod won't be called).
>

I think Dmitry is right: calling [[HasProperty]] on a proxy object should
trigger its "has()" trap in the normal way, which should work with double
lifting.

In short, double lifting is a trick where the handler object of a proxy is
itself a handler. See section 4.5 of the paper about proxies that MarkM and
I presented at the Dynamic Languages Symposium last week (here's a link to
the submitted, non-final, version: <
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~tvcutsem/proxies/assets/proxies.pdf>) In the paper,
we use the term "meta-level shifting" instead of "double lifting", but it's
the same concept.

Cheers,
Tom
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/attachments/20101025/aee7e40b/attachment.html>


More information about the es-discuss mailing list